Thursday, July 13, 2006

The revolution will be..umm...podcast?

You know, I've never been one to hop on to the cultural-phenom-of-the-moment bandwagon. Back in school I never cared what shoes were really in, never wanted to buy the latest cool jacket (esp since in Detroit that was determined by which one would get you mugged the fastest) or automatically listened to the current lead music artist (my friends have suffered through my Bjork fixation for years). Even today, I couldn't tell you who won the last American Idol, I don't own an Ipod, and I've never watched an episode of Lost. But, yesterday, I did finally cave in to societal pressure and join.....Myspace.com.
Immediately I found a couple friends I haven't spoken to in ages, found out lots of new hometown news (including that my first nutball wife has been popping out rugrats like a pez dispenser...HA!!!) and then I took it further. I found out how to drop HTML code into my page, found one of my favorite underground music artists (Chiasm, AKA Emileigh Rahn, who I hung out with a few times at a Detroit club called Ascension U.K.) and put her favorite song to cue up when you go to my myspace page.
In minutes I was on the phone with an old friend who had gone to Iraq, found out another friend now owns the comic book store he used to hang out in and realized how many people I've been out of contact with for so long.....Maybe there's something to this Myspace thing afterall.
I'll give it a spin for a while, kick the tires, etc. but already I noticed something amusing. While looking for names of people I used to know, I noted that there were a lot of 99 year olds signed up. Turns out it's just kids who are underage who want to bypass myspace's protective measures for minors. I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be that hard for myspace people to look at the age and then the pic of some teenybopper and figure that out, so I guess their interest in actually cleaning up their bad rep is fairly superficial.

So, anyway, check out the page at http://www.myspace.com\iljackson

2 Comments:

Blogger Jayble said...

I know what you mean about following fads and whatnot. However, with myspace, while it most certainly has its drawbacks, I have found more people I knew or know in one place than any other. I'm always glad when someone else I know joins. it is nice to have everyone in one place!

10:26 AM  
Blogger João said...

Myspace is part of the News Corporation, the group presided by Rupert Murdoch, which also includes british tabloids The Sun and News of the World...I wouldn't enjoy that company.

I guess being integrated in a major media congolmerate tends to focus into what is "hip", and not into actual quality, therefore it makes membership by minors irrelevant.

12:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home