Monday, May 22, 2006

New addictions

One of the things I love about Rae is that she's about as big a geek as I am. However, she sometimes tries not to admit it. What's more, I'm making her worse. In the last two months she's ran through almost all of R.A. Salvatore's Drizzt Do'Urdan books. She's also read his entire Clerical Quintet series. On top of that, she games in my hero's game and when she moved in she took up whole shelves of my bookcase with her massive Dragonlance novel collection and Mercedes Lackey and Robert Jordan books.
Now, she's gotten me addicted to a new computer RPG. Her revenge for me getting her into gaming I guess.
For years I've owned Elder Scrolls of Morrowind III, but only would dabble in it here and there, never getting much done and eventually putting it down to play something else.
She used to own it on XBox and used to always lament her long, lost powerful Morrowind character. For the longest time she resisted playing it on the computer because she prefers a controller to keyboard and mouse. However, a week or so ago she started playing on the computer.
THen I started watching.
Then I made a character, after seeing how she played.
Now we're both hooked.
Only problem is that there's one computer in the house and two Morrowind fiends.
On top of that I like to play City of Heroes/Villians as well.
So, do we plan to shake our addictions? Hellz no! I'm saving up to get a new laptop in a few weeks.
I'm looking at one that has an AMD processor that's 3.4 gig equivalent, 1 gig ram, 100 gig harddrive and a ATI Radeon 200m 128meg dedicated video card. It's also got a 17 inch screen.
Since my best friend Hari hooked up my house for wireless when he visited in January (earning him an indefatigueable wealth of cool points) I'll be able to not only carry it around the house, but also my next door neighbor and good friend Vox will be able to tap into my wireless, giving the three computers the ability to have some good LAN gaming fun.
Which means my addiction will probably get worse, but it also means that I'll be able to sit upstairs with Rae when she's watching her evening dose of Daily Show and Colbert Report. Usually I'm downstairs on the computer and we'd both prefer being up there together during our downtime.

In related news, she and I are planning to redecorate the apartment. Our apartment is huge, about 2,000 square feet. but we don't use 3/4 of the upstairs because it's one HUGE room (with half the ceiling slanted down at 45 degrees) but there's only one electrical outlet. Fortunately her dad is a pretty handy guy and has said he'll install one or two more lines up there for us. We plan on turning it into a living room, which we really don't have. Right now we have a big bedroom, the backroom, which is our computer room/library/home office and upstairs there's a smaller room we use as a TV room. Problem is that it isn't very conducive to company. Not that she and I have much company, we're pretty private people (for reasons many of you well know). But it would be nice if we had somewhere for friends to sit when they stop by.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home