Sunday, April 09, 2006

My big goals

Everyone has one or two big goals theyd like to achieve in life. Mine is to become a published novelist.
I can't remember when exactly I first wanted to be a novelist, but it's been a desire of mine for a very long time.
I had honestly hoped to achieve it by now. Not that I'm disappointed in my life, I've reached quite a few goals.
I wanted to fly, and I did that for a while, though I didn't get my license.
I wanted to become a reporter, and I did that for a very long time. I also wanted to work on Capitol Hill as a reporter, and I reached that goal. I did that for about three years and realized that there was only one thing left to do: write a book.
All I want is to see my name on the spine of a book, maybe on its own little display stand at the entrance to Barnes and Nobles. So much of my imagination has been sparked by authors such as Edgar Rice Burroughs, J.R.R. Tolkien, R.A. Salvatore, Ann McCaffrey, and Robert Heinlein. I'd like to be able to do that for some kid somewhere. Just take his mind out of his world and set it free.
I learned a lot from those authors growing up, particularly Burroughs and Tolkien.
Growing up during the "Crack 80s" in Detroit, it would have been easy to slip into some really bad stuff. But I was probably almost idealistic. I knew the world was bigger than that. Now, my family and church had a lot to do with that as well, but quite a bit of it was due to John Carter's repeated rescues of Dejah Thoris, and Sam and Frodo's braving the veil of Gorogoroth.
Being able to do the same for some young mind, I'd feel as though I did something with my time on this rock other than take up oxygen.
Although I admit that I'm already proud of my stint as a reporter, and that I've had an effect on things. Due to an interesting twist of circumstances I'm responsible for at least one paragraph of Congressional language.
Not too shabby, I'd say.
But I got a lot of life left in me. I want to do more. I want to be remembered, read, and discussed, long after I'm gone. I'd also like to do a screenplay or two in there, as well as a role-playing book. The latter I missed by a hair. But the opportunity on that one may rise again in a couple months.
I want immortality. Several hundred years from now I want a tri-vid Discovery Channel special about me and my works. Long after I'm gone to whatever awaits us on the "other side" I want to be remembered. I want someone who's not a direct descendent to do an essay on me. I want some kid in the inner city, wondering if there's more, to open my book and find the answer in those pages.

3 Comments:

Blogger Jayble said...

Good goals, and commendable ones as well. I know that reading has literally saved my life several times (depressing childhood = escapism as surival) and inspired me to be a better person to boot. Besides, I love reading your blog and that makes me pretty sure I would enjoy reading anything in novel form that you might produce.

8:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Follow your dreams. You too can reach your goals. Beefcake! BEEFCAKE!

7:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

its good to have goals. mine are to raise upstanding people and make a difference within my family. true immortality and building a lasting legacy to make each generation after yours more succesful.

external accolades are good to a point.

3:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home