Monday, April 03, 2006

Bad eating habits

Well, I'm at about the halfway point of Lent and I haven't had a single bite of red meat. I'm holding up pretty well, all things considered. I haven't flipped out and cut anybody's head off (for which rae is greatly appreciative). And I haven't snuck off to have a burger. However, I'm tired of friggin' chicken.
I don't want to dig on too much swine. That stuff'll kill ya. But still for Easter Sunday, forget the traditional meal I want a big ole del monaco steak grilled by my homeboy, Vox (a.k.a. the patron saint of grillin', but that's another story).
Somehow, through all this, I've managed to put on weight, which is freakin' me out.
My doc is checking to see if my thyroid's acting up, but she thinks its busy season at my job. See, whenever we stay late they give us dinner. However, their selection isn't exactly health conscious. There's a fried chicken night, a pizza night and a lasagna night, among others. You aren't thinking balanced meal, you just shovel that crap down and keep workin' (I can't partake of lasagna night because it has ground beef).
We have a free membership to Gold's Gym, but do you know how hard it is to get your butt to the gym for lunch when you're pulling OT every day?
Things should lighten up this week however, and I'll be able to hit the gym if I can motivate myself, and start eating home cooked meals that make some sense.
What I'd like to do, actually, is do my low carb diet again. Last time I did that I lost 40 lbs in about three months. Not Atkins, mind you, but I just cut out about 80% of the carbs I'd normally eat and upped the meat and green vegetables and ruffage. I also took vitamin supplements to keep things in balance.
But rae is Italian. She'd go into a coma without pasta. I casually mentioned it and you should have seen the look of utter terror on her face. I think she broke out into a cold sweat.
So, I'll do it the old fashioned way...hit the gym. It's just a matter of finding the motivation to sacrifice my lunch break for it (the gym is only a block away from my job). It's approaching summer and I'd like to get rid of the extra pounds.
Eventually, I'd like to settle down at about 170 lbs. That was the weight where I was in the best shape of my life. I was also doing an hour and a half of aikido every couple days at the time though, so that made a big difference. It's been about 10 years since then, but hey, shoot for the moon, right?

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Man, this is funky. Juli and I are working on behaving at meals too. We've gone to only diet colas, lowering carbs, and eating better foods. Though we won't be hitting the gym, cleaning a barn daily isn't exactly minimal labor. We're also moving way the hell out to the middle of nowhere. We'll be right against a state forest. I don't expect I'll ever see the 130 lbs I was at one point during my career in the Corps, but reducing the spare tire will be nice. Besides, when I was that light, I didn't look healthy. Good luck with it bro.

12:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home