Monday, March 27, 2006

Another week under the grindstone

Another federal deadline is coming up on my job, which means this week will be like last week. I worked 6 days for a total of over 50 hours, and Rae worked even sunday morning.
I never was really good at working for others. Personally, I've always done my best when working for myself.
But the pay is good and the work itself isn't that difficult.
However, I do want to get back into freelancing and pimping my novel.
I'm also going to throw a bunch of ideas at Kevin Siembieda at the Palladium Books Open House.
I used to freelance for Cigar Magazine, but they haven't needed any freelancers for their last two issues as they were overstocked on stories. Also I think my contract with them was before they had a good idea of their costs and they were paying me more than they could really afford to.
Oh, well, I'll fire off an e-mail to my editor there and see what's going on.
I just really needed a break from journalism for a while. Washington, D.C. burned me out on it.
I'm glad I was there and got to be one of the few people who could say they were a capitol hill reporter. I got to do things like cover important senate hearings, meet people like Hillary Clinton, John McCain, Joseph Lieberman and others whose names are going to be in the history books. These guys wielded a lot of power, but they had to respect the power of the press as well, so they treated you more or less like equals. I got a kick out of the fact that the second or third time I talked with Hillary that she used my first name because she remembered it. I figure when the former first lady knows you by name you're doing alright for yourself.
But.....
Covering the government wears on you. It's just like the saying goes about watching how sausage is made. Once you've seen it, you really don't want to eat sausage again.
I think the thing that bothered me the most is how very little doing what was right seemed to actually affect how our country is run. Doing what's expedient, politically smart, and cost effective all override doing what's right on the Hill.
And the young guys who come in with idealistic thoughts and an actual goal to do the right thing quickly get beat down by the older senators and representatives.
It's a very depressing atmosphere once you get on the inside.
I like it out here better, even if that means a few dollars less and no longer being able to just walk into the U.S. Capitol Building after waving hello to security, passing by all the gawking tourists.
But, this journalism thing is in my blood and I can feel it seeping slowly to the surface from underneath. Eventually I'll have to do something about that...

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I dont think I could have the patience to be a reporter... digging around and thinking about wording. I like just saying what I want in my own grammar. Id have to publish my own stuff so I could use Pollitically Incorrect stuff as thats most of what I use anyhow. Though I do respect the people that do reporting. It is an essential facet of how knowledge is passed along.

12:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cover the Deadskins for next season and hook me up with tickets for their game with the Jags. How's that idea sound? But keep pimping your novel, it rocks too.

7:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

http://www2.sendspace.com/file/fr466z

give it a listen....minimalism at its best.

8:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home