Saturday, September 16, 2006

Feast or Famine

One of the frustrating things about being a writer is the way work comes at you. It's always either feast (meaning a lot of work all at once) or famine (meaning none at all). It seems to be really hard to get a happy medium going. When I first went freelance and landed a contract with cigar magazine, everyone was contacting me with offers, many of which I had to turn down simply because I did not have the time. For about a year I was living pretty high on the hog, with lucrative freelance contracts that were, in truth, pretty easy.
Eventually, it dried up. Nothing. Nada. It was rough. So I had to take a 9-to-5 (ugh).
Now, things are looking up. I've got a book deal with a company I've always wanted to work for...but associated with that deal has come four different, live, projects, through various avenues all at once.
I've told everyone which one is my priority, but it's still quite the load.
But this time I'm trying to do it differently. By staggering them out over time I, hopefully,won't fall into another feast or famine situation.
It's inspired me to go back into freelancing full time, but I'm going to hold off on that for the time being.
Here's hoping there's no famine in my future.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are still receiving the same kinds of freelance contract offers as before you took your 9-5, right? I mean, you didn't take yourself off their call lists?

2:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home