Thursday, September 07, 2006

Birthday swag

Well, Tuesday was my birthday. I know a lot of you did not know, but I really don't tend to make that big a deal out of it. In fact, the older I get the less a deal I like to make of it. I doubt I'm very different in that regard than most people.
I'm now 33 years old. Looking back, I can't say I'm dissatisfied with the way things have gone, except my attempts at matrimony. However, being in a wonderful relationship now really takes the edge off those regrets.
Career wise I'm pretty happy with what I accomplished. I hit most of my major goals in the time I wanted to hit them. My last major goal, becoming a published author, is closer than ever. Sure, I imagined crazy stuff like getting a Pulitzer or a Hugo before I was 30, but I was too busy experiencing life in a wider spectrum to be that focused. As it is, my friends tend to think of me as a pretty focused guy. Oftentimes, among family and friends, I'm viewed as the "successful one" I think.
Sure, I have the usual amount of trepidation about getting older, but who doesn't? I am feeling the biological clock ticking away, however, and more and more I'm thinking about creating some mini-mes to make sure the human populace is sufficiently traumatized once I'm gone.
However, all that's minor. What's really important is....

BIRTHDAY SWAG BABY!

I made out like a fat rat! Best year I've had in at least the last 10 years. First, I got a 2 gig iPod nano from Rachael, which I'm sure she already regrets, as those little ear buds will have to be surgically removed from my head if I keep them in any longer. It has a 500 lbs capacity and it's not even the size of my old zippo.
Then, a good friend of mine, Vox, got me a new daisho set (katana and wakazashi, samurai swords for the uninitiated). Now, I have a half dozen already, but not like these. These were made in Japan the old fashioned way, folded steel, ray skin covered hilt, full tang. If you've ever held the typical katana you can buy anywhere, and then held a real one....man, the difference is trippy. Firstly, these have a LOT more mass to them than my other more decorative swords. But when you wrap your hand around the hilt, man I can't describe the difference. It's night and day. The only draw back is that apparently the guy who makes these in Japan won't sharpen them. SO it's not just that the sword is not sharp, the edge is actually flat. Someone told me it has something to do with Japan not making weapons after WWII due to it's constitution, but I didn't realize that would apply to swords.
On Monday, we went to the Renaissance Festival, where I got a pair of stainless steel daggers, with stainless steel sheaths and hilts. One hilt is carved into the likeness of Isis, the other, Osiris. The full-metal construction not only makes them very pretty, but also makes them really useful for electrical play with a violet wand kit, since they'll conduct a charge from wherever I hold them.
In addition to that, there's a shop at the Rennfaire called the Brass Dragon, that sells these dragon scultpures out of beaten brass and whatnot. Very beautiful and very expensive. I got a black and gold dragon pendant. It's gorgeous, and rachael is making me a chainmail necklace to wear it with.
On top of that, I snagged the "Super Dimensional Fortress Macross: Do You Remember Love -- Perfect Edition" DVD off Ebay for a buck. A gift to my self.
Christmas will be hardpressed to top that!

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

happy birthday man!
Youve lived a good life
so dont sweat the small stuff

1:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy birthday old man. And I can say that, you're older than me.

2:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey! Happy Birthday :)

I'm glad you got such great stuff. But why didn't ya tell me? :(

8:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Because us old people don't care to broadcast our decripitude. (-;

9:41 PM  
Blogger Dark Lord said...

Because us old people don't care to broadcast our decripitude. (-;


Exactly!

7:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

See, I may be senile, but I'm smart. BTW, when are you burning me a copy of DYRL?

10:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

im tempted to come out there , crawl thru his window and take his voltron , DYRL, and one of them swords.

he know i can do it too. he'll never know i was there!

5:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home